Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chili's Caribbean Salad

I used to frequent Chili's restaraunt a couple of times a month. Every single time I went there - I had the Caribbean Salad - with Honey Lime dressing - yummmm. The last time I went - they had taken it off the menu! How dare they!! I have had to resort to making my own version. I searched online to find a copycat dressing recipe. None of them were 'perfect.' So, I have come up with my own - a combination of sorts from 4 different 'copycat' recipes - and I am telling you - THIS IS THE ONE BABY! To all my sisters and my Mom - you have to make this - it is exactly the salad we have eaten so many times at the restaurant!! If you've never tried it, it sounds like an unusual combo of flavors - but it is sooooo good (did I say that already?)
HONEY LIME DRESSING
1/4 c Grey Poupon mustard (the smooth kind)
1/4 c Honey
1 c Mayonnaise
1 T Sesame seed oil
1 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 t lime juice
1 1/2 T sugar

Blend all together, cover and chill. I make this a little ahead so the flavors have time to mesh. I usually double the recipe - it keeps for about a month.

SALAD
Lettuce (I use romain)
Corn
Black beans
Tortilla chips
Mandarin oranges
Pineapple chunks
Your favorite teriyaki sauce (mine is Yoshidas)
chicken
pico de gallo (or like tonight - I just used fresh salsa and drained the juice out of it)
and I add cucumber

Marinate the chicken in Teriyaki sauce for atleast 2 hours - grill and cube. Add all other components - and try not to drool before you take your first bite.

This is the best way to get your kids to eat salad! They have so many choices - they can make the salad to their liking! My 6 year old had chicken, corn, mandarine oranges and cucumber. My 4 year old had that plus pineapple and lettuce. Lil Boo (16 mo.) added black beans and corn. Of course -hubs and I had the works!! *I put all the ingredients in the fridge (except the chicken) a couple of hours ahead of time - so everything is nice and cold and crisp!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails