Friday, May 29, 2009

Fresh Corn Salad

I got this recipe from my Barefoot Contessa Cookbook - one of my fav's. I am always looking for ways to get more fruits and veggies into the mouths of my babes (and hubs) this is a good one. The following is the original recipe:

Fresh Corn Salad
5 ears corn, shucked
1/2 c red onion, diced
3 T cider vinegar
3 T EVOO
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c chiffonade fresh basil leaves

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for 3 minutes until the starchiness is just gone. drain and immerse the corn in ice water. When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob. toss the corn in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients except for the basil. just before serving, toss in the basil. Serve chilled or at room temp. The book says to use fresh, not frozen corn - I always use corn in the package (from costco) and I think it tastes great!

The only differences I've made were eliminating the basil and adding 1 T sugar (we are talking about my hubs and 3 kids under the age of 6 here).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails