Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My cheats

“The Costco Gourmet” Cheats
I buy a huge jar of sun dried tomatoes ($10). I puree the tomatoes, put them in several little tupperwares, and freeze them – they add so much flavor - and are very versatile!!
Kirkland Pesto $8 so delicious – so fresh tasting - a 'luxury item' without the work or the price.
Feta – you can get 24 oz. for $6 – and Feta keeps for a couple of months.
Blue Cheese – same deal as above.

This cheat is all about fresh herbs. I planted a garden for the first time this year. Buying fresh herbs in the grocery store can be expensive – and if you don’t use them quickly, they go bad. But - they add such an amazing flavor!!
I spent approx. $50 on plants for my garden – probably $20 of that was on herbs. I have fresh basil, dill, chives, parsley, oregano and rosemary out back. The coolest thing about these herbs – is that you can start using them after about the first week (unlike tomatoes, which take a couple of months) it’s the perfect time to plant right now!! And, how Barefoot Contessa of me to walk into my ‘garden’ to clip fresh herbs!

This picture is of herbs I planted 3 weeks ago – they’ve tripled in size - and believe me - I've never planted a thing in my life - I honestly didn't think they'd survive - so it's fool proof!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails