Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sunflower Whole Wheat Bread

I got this recipe from an old “Dutch Oven Style” cookbook my hubs bought 'for me' at the Sportsman’s Warehouse several years ago. Mmmmm…. My hubs loves wheat bread - with enthusiasm. This is hands down his fav bread - sandwich bread - french toast bread - snacking bread - toast bread. Give it a try - you'll never buy Great Harvest bread again.Sunflower Whole Wheat Bread
3 cups warm water
¾ c honey
1 ½ T dry active yeast (4 1/2 t)
¼ c butter, softened
4 cups whole wheat flour
3 – 6 cups unbleached flour (I just use regular old flour)
2 t salt
1 c sunflower seeds

Combine and mix the water, honey and yeast. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Add butter, wheat flour, 1 cup unbleached flour, salt and sunflower seeds. Slowly add 2 – 3 cups unbleached flour. Mix until combined. Flour your surface and knead dough for a few minutes. 

Place it, in a greased bowl and turn the dough to grease its top. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth in a warm place for about an hour. 

After it rises for an hour, knead the dough for 1 minute, cover again and let rise til double (about an hour). 

Punch down a second time. Divide the dough in half, shape and place in 2 5 x 9” loaf pans. Place loaves in a warm place and let rise to the top of the pans, about 45 minutes. Bake the loaves at 350 for about 1 hour or until they are well browned and hollow sounding then tops are tapped. Turn loaves out onto a rack to cool.

These breads I post really are super easy - you just have to make them when you have a day at home. Laundry day, sick day, lazy day - they honestly take very little effort - most of it is the waiting around time! Let me reiterate that I don't have a bread machine - I don't even have a kitchenaid - all I have are my hands and a wooden spoon. Don't be intimidated (like I used to be!!) My kids and I are sitting here right now eating warm pieces of this delicious bread - for dessert - (that is how good it is) is there anything better? My hubs will be so stoked when he walks in the door and smells this bread - it's one of his favs. Coming home to the sweet smell of baking? Oh yeah.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails