Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mike’s Deli Famous Eggplant Parmigiana

My friend made Eggplant Parmigiana yesterday – and I thought about how I haven’t made that in so long! I use this recipe that I found on Food Network’s ‘Throwdown with Bobby Flay’ he went up against Mike from Mike’s Deli (in NYC) he won the Throwdown with it! This recipe seems a little tricky (b/c of the frying step) but it’s not I use my dutch oven with just a little oil – I do the eggplant a few at a time – and DON’T forget the lid!!

Mike’s Deli Famous Eggplant Parmigiana
Oil
2 large eggplants
Flour
4 eggs
Bread crumbs
1 qt. marinara sauce
8 oz. sliced DRY mozzarella
4 oz. grated Romano

Preheat oven to 350 and heat oil in a large pan, dutch oven or deep-fryer. Peel the eggplant and slice into ¼” thick slices. Coat each side of the eggplant with the flour.

In a separate bowl beat 4 eggs and dip the eggplant into the egg to coat both sides. Then take your bread crumbs and do the same to coat each side.
Once the oil is hot, put the eggplant in the hot oil and fry until golden brown. If using a deep fryer also leave in for a about 2 to 3 minutes each.
Once all of the eggplant has been fried, get a 9x13” casserole dish and start layering by adding the marinara sauce to the bottom of the pan, then the eggplant, more sauce, mozzarella, Romano, and continue to layer until you have reached the top of the pan. Top off with sauce, mozzarella and grated Romano. Place the eggplant into the oven and cook for 20 – 25 minutes.

*Instead of the Romano, I just use the grated Parmesan cheese I have in my fridge at all times!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails