Monday, June 1, 2009

Pesto Calzones

I have a bunch of Feta and Mozzarella that need to get used up – I hate throwing food away! So, I whipped this little baby up. Turned out really good! Can someone please give me some 'food' photog tips? This looked so much more appetizing than it looks here...

Pesto Calzones
Pizza dough (ready made or home made - hubs asked me nicely to make them whole wheat - I had to oblige...)
Pesto sauce (I use Costco’s premade but you could also make it from a ‘dry packet’ in the spice aisle)
Feta, crumbled
Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
Tomatoes, sliced
Pine Nuts

I throw corn meal down on the pan and then set the dough on it. Pat the dough out in a circle like you would with a pizza (I put a little EVOO in my hands to make it easy). Put all ingredients on half the dough, starting with the pesto and ending with the cheeses. Fold the dough over and 'crimp' with a fork. This helps the leakage factor. Cut a few slits in the top of the calzones so they can steam out. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. This is a good one to cater to your personal tastes. Hubs and I had this one, but the kiddos had theirs with Mozz, Cheddar and Pepperoni. Another fun one for the kids - they can get as crazy as they want!

Mmmmm... I just thought - you could totally make this with premade 'biscuit' dough. Then it would be all light and airy and flakey.... ummm hmmmm...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails