Monday, July 6, 2009

Coke Cake

Any one who really knows me knows that I am not the typical chocolate loving woman. However, there are a few chocolate things that I can't resist ever! This recipe is one of them. I love me some coke cake! Another of Grandma D's hand me downs. I think everyone has some version of this, but this is my fave!
COLA CAKE

2 cups flour 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups sugar 2 beaten eggs
1 cup margarine 1 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp cocoa 1 tsp vanilla
1 cup cola 1-1/2 cups mini marshmellows

Combine flour and sugar
Heat margarine, cocoa, and cola until mixture boils.
Pour mixture over flour and sugar. Blend and add buttermilk, eggs, soda and vanilla.
Fold in marshmellows. Beat well by hand and pour into 9X13 baking pan that has been greased and floured.
Bake 30 to 40 min. at 350.
Frost while hot.

COLA ICING

1/2 cup margarine
3 tbsp cocoa
6 tbsp cola
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Combine margarine, cocoa and cola.
Bring to a boil in small sauce pan. Pour over powdered sugar and mix well.
Fold in nuts. Spread on hot cake.


My take on this recipe.
For the buttermilk (which I never have), I use 1 tbsp lemon juice and enough milk to make 1/2 cup. Mix together and let set for a while.

I bake it on my jelly roll pan for 30 min. It makes it more like brownies instead of cake.

I also do not add nuts... NOT a fan of nuts in things, and it is great without them!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails