Sunday, August 9, 2009

Eggs Benedict

I am going to try to be better about posting pictures with my posts - it is so helpful to know what it's supposed to look like and whether or not you want to eat it... I'll try...

On to the food... My hubs has been out of town for the last 2 weeks M-F so on the weekends, I've been trying to cater to his tastes. His favorite breakfast is Eggs Benedict. I've NEVER made it before. Poached eggs are totally intimidating (or so I thought). But, with my little theme lately - I gave it a shot - and totally used 'cheats' to help me through my first try.
Eggs Benedict
Canadian Bacon (store bought)
Hollandaise Sauce (bought a dry packet)
Eggs
White Vinegar
English Muffins

3 pans!!! I know - but it was leaps and bounds easier than I thought it would be. Follow the tutorial for poached eggs (below). Follow directions on the Hollandaise package. Put the Canadian bacon in a skillet and heat them up. Put your English muffins in the toaster then butter them lightly.

Assembly: English muffin, Canadian Bacon, Poached Egg, Hollandaise Sauce - delicious!

I found this tutorial on Poached Eggs here. Following these steps - I was amazed that I successfully poached 2 eggs to perfection my first try.

Perfect Poached Eggs Tutorial
Use a sauce epan that is at least 3-inches deep so there is enough water to cover the eggs, and they do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Also make sure your pan is wide enough to hold all the eggs you will be poaching. You don't want them to stick together. Working with the eggs one by one, break or crack each egg onto a saucer, ramekin, small cups, or bowls. Place all cups of eggs so that they are convenient to the stove.

Bring the water to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer before cooking. Add a couple of teaspoons of white vinegar (this will help the egg stay together).

Slip eggs carefully into slowly simmering water by lowering the lip of each egg cup 1/2-inch below the surface of the water. Let the eggs flow out. Don't put too many in the pot at one time. Immediately cover with a lid and turn off the heat. Don't disturb the egg once you have put it in the water!

Set a timer for exactly 3 minutes for medium-firm yolks. Adjust the time up or down for runnier or firmer yolks. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, depending on firmness desired. You can test for softness/firmness by lifting an egg on a spoon and gently pressing a finger on the yolk.

Remove from water with slotted spoon. Remove each egg in succession after they have each cooked for the doneness you want. Lift each perfectly poached egg from the water with a slotted spoon, but hold it over the skillet briefly to let any water clinging to the egg drain off. Drain well before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails