Friday, August 21, 2009

Ground Beef and Ricotta Pie

On with the challenge... I compiled a family recipe book 2 years ago. I asked everyone in my family to contribute if they'd like. I got this recipe (stemming from that request) from my sister in laws Mother, Eleanor. Eleanor is a fantastic, gourmet cook. Anytime I see her I get to feast on her creations - and they are always so wonderful. This is one of her top 5.

I really like this. It's hard to think outside of the box with ground beef - but this is a good alternative to hambergers or Mexican food. I also love that it has so many veggies into it!

2T EVOO
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
14 oz can diced tomatos
2 T Worcestershire
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
2 c Ricotta
1 T oregano
1/3 c Mozzarella

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. heat large non-stick skillet over high heat. add oil onion and garlic and cook 1 minute. Add carrot and celery and cook 3-4 minutes. add meat, breaeking up and lumps with wooden spoon and cook 8-10 minutes or until browned. Add tomatoes, Wsauce, salt andpepper and simmer for 15 minutes or until the mix is thickened. Spoon mixture into an 8x8 casserole dish. Mix ricotta, mozzarella and oregano together and spoon over meat mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is golden.

*The original recipe adds 2 eggs to the cheese mixture - but I left it out because my kids have egg allergies.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails