Thursday, August 13, 2009

Quick Meat Loaf and Mashers

My husband has been out of town since Monday. He travels a lot - but every once in a while he will call on short notice to say he'll be home for dinner:) I love that. I didn't expect him home until tomorrow night. When the phone rang at 5:00pm he said "hey - I am going from one end of the state to the other - so I am going to come home for dinner (it's on his way) - any chance you can make meatloaf and roasted garlic mashers for me? I'll be home in 30 minutes - and I can only stay 1 hour before heading out again" Hmmmm... I really wanted to make him what he wanted but my meatloaf and roasted garlic mashers take an hour to make.
I figured I could do it in half an hour if I made a few adjustments - basically just cutting the cooking time in half. I made the same recipes I always do (except for the roasted garlic of course). I'll let you in on my 'quick method' after I list the recipes.

I got this meatloaf recipe from my hubs Mom - who doesn't cook much - and who didn't give me measurements so bear with me.

Grandma's Meatloaf (modified slightly)
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
3 squirts mustard (I use yellow and I know how vague 'squirt' is but you can do it)
3 squirts ketchup
1/2 pack of saltine crackers (crumble them in your hands)
Salt
Pepper
Onion salt (I use chopped onions b/c I am an onion FREAK!)
Garlic Powder
Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs (which I eliminate b/c of the egg allergies in my house)

All seasonings are to taste. Mix all ingredients together, form into a 9x13 pan. bake at 350 degrees for 45 min - 1 hour.

*Quick method. Recipe above - divide into 6. I use a Texas sized muffin pan - spray with Pam then put the 6 portions in the 6 muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Roasted Garlic Mashers
Potatoes (any kind you like)
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
Salt
Pepper
3 heads of roasted garlic
Milk

Peel and cut potatoes. Boil until fork tender. Drain potatoes and add all other ingredients and blend with your hand mixer until it's the consistency you like.

*Quickify - I used small red potatoes washed them, but didn't peel them. I quartered them (so they would cook faster) then followed the rest of the directions and instead of roasted garlic I used garlic powder. Start to finish 25 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails