Sunday, January 10, 2010

Spicy Burgers with Green Chile Mayonnaise

I got this recipe from my new cookbook "Worldwide Ward Cookbook" by Deanna Buxton. The recipe was submitted by Valarie Sudlow in Hauula, Hawaii.

My picky, eats like a bird 6 year old (who is 2 lbs lighter than his 5 year old sister) took one bite and said - "I want 4 of these!!" and he ate 2 (which impressed me). I made a few changes based on availability and kids preference. I didn't add chorizo (a Mexican sausage - it's spicy and very greasy when cooked) I didn't add Emeril's Essence or ciabatta rolls b/c I don't have them on hand and finally - I used cheddar cheese on the kids burgers - just to tone down the spice factor.

Spicy Burgers
1/3 lb chorizo, outer casings removed
1 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground beef
1 T minced garlic
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 t Emeril's Essence
3/4 t salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper
4 ciabatta rolls, split in half
4 slices pepper Jack cheese
Green Chile Mayo (recipe below)

Preheat the grill to med-high. Place the chorizo in a food processor and process until finely chopped (sausage should appear crumbly). In a large bowl, add to the chorizo the ground pork, ground beef, garlic, W sauce, Essence salt and cayenne pepper; mix gently. Form into patties. Grill. Add cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling. Top with Green Chile Mayo.

Green Chile Mayo
1/3 c mayo
2/3 c sour cream
1 t minced garlic
1 poblano or Anaheim pepper, roasted and peeled
1 T lime juice
black pepper

Combine all ingred together and blend until smooth. Refrigerate.

**Make the mayo ahead of time (at least before you put the burgers on the grill) so that it has time to marry.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails