Friday, March 5, 2010

Challah Bread

My friend and I were talking about bread and eggs. My kids are allergic to eggs and I was telling her that most of my bread recipes don't call for eggs. Then she said "oh... but there is nothing like Challah Bread" and she went on and on about it.

I had never had Challah bread and was intrigued enough to make it myself. I found the recipe online - but I tweaked it so much that the original recipe is barely there.

It turned out so delish!! I took a loaf over to my friend - she called me a few minutes later to praise my work:)
Challah Bread
3 T yeast
4 eggs
2 c warm water
½ c sugar
1 T salt
½ c vegetable oil
6 - 7 c flour

Add water, yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl. Cover and let it proof for 5-10 minutes. It will be foamy and bubbly. Add oil, eggs and half of the flour. Mix to combine, then add the rest of the flour. Mix. Knead until soft and elastic. Cover and let rise at 1 hour. Separate into 3 large pieces. Divide each piece into three more pieces. Roll into snakes and braid together. Let rise for about 1-2 hours or until almost double in size.

Brush with egg wash (1 egg + 1 T water) over bread. Sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until nice and golden on top.
Makes 3 loaves

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails