Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jammin' Jambalaya


Lookin' through the freezer today I saw 2 things - sausage and shrimp (oh yeah, a Costco trip is waaaaay overdue). Suddenly - inspiration - why don't I try to make Jambalaya? I've never made it before, OR even tasted it before BUT but I've watched enough Emeril to know that I have to start with the 'trinity' (carrots, celery and onion) and go from there... so I pretty much winged it - but it was GOOD. Do you have a recipe? I'd love to try it!! OK then...

Jammin' Jambalaya
1 lb sausage (I had mild Italian on hand which was delish - if you are in a hurry, I'd suggest Hillshire Farm precooked sausage)
1 lb shrimp
4 celery ribs diced
1 c carrots diced
1 c onion diced
1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 diced beefsteak tomato (I added it just b/c it needed to be used)
1 package Zatarain's rice (Jambalaya flavor)
1 c chicken stock

Drizzle a little EVOO in big stock pot (I used my 6 qt le creuset). Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften - your onions will be translucent. Add tomatoes, chicken stock and Zatarain's package. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Add shrimp and (precooked) sausage. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or just until shrimp turn pink and everything is incorporated. Enjoy!!
My kids even loved it! With all those veggies - I was very happy to serve this to them and to have them lap it up!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails