Monday, November 8, 2010

Brussels Spouts Gratin

As promised, I am trying out possible Thanksgiving recipes. These new recipes are all vying for a position on my Thanksgiving table this year - and possibly for years to come. That's a lot of pressure to put on these sides - but it's Thanksgiving for crying out loud!
I found this recipe in Food Network Magazine - the November issue. It was under their "Learn To Love It" "DARE" section. And since I am a sucker for a dare - you know I had to try this - that coupled with the fact that putting more veggies on the table is just a good idea - for Thanksgiving - or on a Monday night.

Brussels Sprouts Gratin
2 T butter but into pieces
1 lb Brussels sprouts, outer leaves and stems removed
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c grated white cheddar cheese
1/2 c breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
Salt & Pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and butter a 2 qt. baking dish. bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until tender, 8 - 10 minutes.

Drain the Brussels sprouts and coarsley chop. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and toss with the red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste, then spread out evenly. pour the cream on top, sprinkle with the cheese and breadcrumbs and dot with the butter pieces.

Bake the gratin until bubbly and golden brown, about 15 minutes.

AND... it was good! How can you not LOVE something that is made with heavy cream and cheese? I am sure this will end up in my top 5...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails