Sunday, January 9, 2011

BASICS: Roasted Veggies

I am going to add a new section to our blog called "BASICS." These posts will be for all of those people that don't know the basics of cooking - just like the newlywed I was so long ago... there's hope for you yet!!

For dinner tonight, we had roasted pork tenderloin and roasted vegetables. If you would've told me 10 years ago that my favorite way to eat veggies was to roast them, and that I actually knew how to roast them - I would've laughed. I've come a long way baby.

Roasted Veggies
Carrots
Red Potatoes
Onions
Leeks
EVOO
Kosher Salt
Cracked Black Pepper
Rosemary, chopped finely

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Cut your veggies up into similar sized pieces. They don't have to be perfect. Put them on a foil lined baking tray. Drizzle them with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary. You want every single veggie to get a little of each of those seasonings and oil, but you don't want to drown them in oil over over season. Think about they way you'd dress a salad or season your mashed potatoes (to scale of course). Then get your kitchens greatest utencil (your hands!) and toss the veggies around. This helps evenly distribute the oil and seasonings.

Put in your oven and roast for 40 minutes or so. You want the biggest pieces of veggie to be fork tender.

Even my kids LOVE roasted veggies - you will too! Give it a try!!

*I roast every kind of veggie you can think of. I usually roast veggies when they really need to be used or tossed within a few days. It's a great way to eat what you've got on hand. Beets, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, turnips, butternut squash - anything you can think of - you just can't go wrong!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails