Saturday, January 8, 2011

Country Corn

I found this recipe in one of my new cookbooks Taste of Home Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2010 My hubby and I weren't very hungry tonight (Saturday) so I decided just to make Macaroni and Cheese (out of the box) for my kids. Then, I started feeling guilty about the whole out of the box dinner and decided to whip up this side dish to ease my guilt and boy howdy was it good.

It was so good in fact that the kids kept asking for more helpings and when it was all gone they begged for more. My hubby (who wasn't hungry) grabbed one of the last bites and also suggested I make another batch - so he could have some too! So I made another batch and when that was gone - all the little bellies in my house were full and the macaroni hadn't been touched.
Country Corn
6 green onions, chopped
3 T butter
3 c frozen corn, thawed
2 t cornstarch
1/2 c half and half cream
1/4 c water
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 c grape tomatoes, halved

In a large skillet, saute the onion in butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the corn; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until heated through.

Mealwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch, cream, water, salt and pepper until smooth. Grandually stir into the corn mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the tomatoes.

*The recipe calls for 2 cups frozen corn, but the second batch I made it with 3 cups and it was much better. Also, I didn't have grape tomatoes and it was STILL good!

**The pic is of my hubby's plate - he had leftover Spice Coated Pork Tenderloin with his corn.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails