Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sweet's Ribs

My hubs (who I call Sweetness/Sweet's) and I were talking about the (NFL) playoffs this year. After this weekends games - we are left with America's teams. Teams that have been in the hearts and homes of Americans for generations. The Jets, Packers, Steelers - and of course, my Bears. This years playoffs are unequalled in the recent past.
Anyway... because of the games (I assume) my Sweetness wanted to make some "Man Food" some good ol' football watchin' man food. He decided on ribs. He is the greatest breakfast short order cook - and the best grillin' man I know - but it's been a while since he's had to cook - so he asked me for tips (if you knew us 10-15 years ago you would be laughing your head off). I gave him some tips (based on my go to rib recipe) and then let him go hog wild - pun totally intended...

Sweet's Ribs
Rack pork ribs*
Fav BBQ Sauce
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Put ribs in a large pot with enough water to cover them. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
Take your ribs out of the water and season them. Sweet's seasoned half of the ribs with his go to dry rub - salt, pepper and garlic powder - enough to cover the ribs. The other half of the ribs he brushed with our fav BBQ sauce. Then he took them out to the grill and grilled them for about 15 minutes. Boiling them cooks them thoroughly, grilling (or broiling) them gives you that crispy factor and helps the seasoning do it's job.
Tonight's dinner was hands down the single most relaxing, quiet, peaceful dinner we have had since my oldest was born. Seriously.
There was no whining, no complaining, no burping, no talking about burping, no giggling incessantly about burping, no poking, no bugging, no "how many more bites do I have to take before I can be excused?" no tears, no rambling on and on and on and not eating - it was (almost) COMPLETE SILENCE.
The only noise at the table was lip smackin'. At one point during dinner, Sweets turned to me with honest to goodness tears in his eyes and said "this may be the best day ever. You watched football w me all day AND we had the most pleasant, peaceful dinner in the history of our family." They really were that good...

*We get our ribs at Costco - now that I've typed that for the millionth time - I'm thinkin' Costco needs to give me a free membership and do a fun giveaway for all my readers for all the free advertising I give them! LOL.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails