Saturday, February 19, 2011

BASICS: Vegetable Storage

I just may be the biggest food idiot on the planet. I've come to accept and change this. I think the drawer in my refrigerator labeled "vegetables" is to blame for this - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I used to refrigerate all my vegetables - until I knew better.

Here are some veggie rules:
Beet greens, Swiss chard, Collards, Green onions, Kale, Lettuce, Mustard greens, Spinach, Turnip greens
Store in the refrigerator crisper and maintain high humidity by keeping the crisper more than
half full. Wash and drain well before storage.

Store the following vegetables in a crisper separate from the above vegetables, in plastic bags or containers in the main compartment of the refrigerator.
Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Lima beans, Mushrooms, Peas, Radishes, Rhubarb, Sweetcorn (if unhusked, keep close to the freezer compartment), Turnips

Ideally, the following vegetables keep best at 45 to 55 degrees F due to their sensitivity to chilling injury. Store in the refrigerator no longer than about seven days. Use soon after removing from refrigerator.
Bell peppers, Hot peppers, Cucumbers, Ripe melons, Snapbeans, Summer squash

Store the following vegetables at room temperature (65 to 70 degrees F) and away from direct sunlight.
Dry garlic, Melons, Dry onions, Tomatoes (mature green, partly ripe and ripe)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails