Sunday, March 20, 2011

BASICS: Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes is one of the most basic and delicious sides you can make. A few things to keep in mind. Choose good potatoes. I usually get Yukon Gold potatoes (they are my fav) but I also like red potatoes (which I used in the picture below). Your 'creaming' agent. We only eat mashed potatoes every once in a while - so I always do it right by using Heavy Cream. There are several low fat solutions though - I would recommend - fat free half and half. Your butter preference. After reading an article several years ago about how margarine is only 1 molecule different than plastic - I've used real butter for everything - I don't think you can beat it. Salt & Pepper. Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper - enough said.
Mashed Potatoes
2 1/2 lbs potatoes
1 c heavy cream
4 T butter
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
1 Bay leaf

Peel and cube your potatoes to about 2"x 2" size. Fill a large stock pot 3/4 of the way with water. Bring to a boil and add potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes - or until fork tender. Remove bay leaf and drain potatoes. Meanwhile, heat cream and butter in a small sauce pan.

After the potatoes have been drained, put them in your mixer (or in a plastic bowl so you can use your hand mixer). Mix on the lowest level until the potatoes are no longer distingishable individual pieces. Add about 1/4 cup of the cream and butter mixture at a time - until your potatoes are smooth and creamy.

Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails