Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Layered Jicama Salad

This recipe is probably older than I am - but that just goes to show that it's tried and true - and well loved.

I wanted to make a salad that I hadn't made in a while and this one fit the bill - my kids don't remember ever having it and they RAVED. My husband and I haven't had it for a while either and we both wondered why I don't make this all the time...


Layered Jicama Salad
1 head Romaine lettuce - shredded
1 large cucumber, peeled and but into bite sized pieces
1 1/2 c celery, diced
1 medium jicama, peeled and shredded (about 2 cups)
1 small red onion, diced *I used green onions today
1 1/2 c frozen peas (run under cool water)
2 8 oz cans sliced water chestnuts, diced
1 c bacon, crumbled
2 tomatoes on the vine, diced
1/2 c parmesan cheese

Dressing
Mayonnaise
3 T Sugar
3 T Season All

Layer lettuce, cucumber, celery, jicama, onion, peas and water chestnuts.

Spread a layer of mayonnaise on top of the water chestnuts. Sprinkle with Season All and sugar. Remember you are seasoning A LOT of veg in this dish - so don't hesitate with the components of the dressing.

Chill for at least an hour. Top with bacon, tomatoes and parmesan cheese. Serve!

*I love the look of this salad in my trifle dish. You can use any bowl, or even a casserole dish to assemble this.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails