Friday, March 23, 2012

Updated Hawaiian Haystacks

Ever heard of these?? I guess they were big in the 80's so it's possible you know about these. I first had this dish 9 years ago at the baby shower my husbands Auntie's had for me when I was pregnant with my first.

Just having had a baby (she's 2 months already!) I was going through all the baby books and remembered that they served these at the shower - AND I remembered that I liked them. I found the recipe and then updated it a bit.

These were a BIT hit with all the kids - and wouldn't you know it? Hubby and I liked them too. *Don't be afraid of the 'chicken gravy' in this - I couldn't imagine liking how it tasted - but I really did. Really. I. Did.

Hawaiian Haystacks
Sweet Jasmine Rice
2 12oz cans canned chicken, drained (or your own shredded chicken)
2 cans cream of chicken soup (or whatever 'cream of...' you have - I used mushroom)
2 cups chicken stock (or broth)
cheddar cheese, shredded
green onion
sliced almonds
mandarin oranges
pineapple bits
chow mein noodles
tomatoes, diced

Add soup, broth and chicken to a medium stock pot. Heat until warmed through.

To serve: Layer rice, chicken, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, mandarin oranges, pineapple bits, chow mein noodles and sliced almonds - ENJOY!

*The picture doesn't show mandarin oranges or pineapple bits b/c I wasn't willing to go THAT far - but all my kids added those to their plates and gobbled them up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails