Monday, July 2, 2012

Fool Proof Omelet

I've always been intimidated by making an omelet. Luckily, I still get to eat them all the time because my husband has 2 specialties, omelet's and grills. BUT - I wanted to challenge myself to learn the skill...

This is the TOTAL cheaters version - that I'm sure other people have done - but I came up with it out of desperation for an omelet and my husband was no where in sight...


Fool Proof Omelet (for dummies)
3 eggs
1/4 c fresh salsa
Havarti cheese
Avocado, diced
Salt & pepper to taste

Put a small sautee pan on the stove on medium high heat. Crack your eggs into a bowl and whisk them together. Salt and pepper. When your pan is hot, pour the eggs in. Just as you do when you make scrambled eggs, let the eggs cook for 30 - 60 seconds. Then use your spatula to pull the eggs to one side of the pan while you tilt the pan to allow the runny eggs to touch the hot pan. Repeat 2 or 3 times. Use your spatula to flip the circular egg over (the top side will still have runny egg on it - and we've got to get that cooked too!)

Turn off the heat and add cheese to the (now top) of the omelet. Add 1 ice cube and cover. The ice will help create steam to melt the cheese quickly. When the cheese is melted, slide the (still round) omelet on to your plate. Add salsa to one side of the egg. Use your spatula to fold the egg in half (here's where it becomes the omelet you are used to) and press down a bit - so that the melted cheese sticks together. Add avocado (on the side - so it stays nice and cool).

*As always, any toppings, any cheese, anything goes - this is just what I had on hand this morning.
**Someday I'll master the technique of making a real omelet - but for now - I'm very satisfied with this way:)



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails