Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Macaroni & Cheese with Ham and Peas

If you please...

I got the latest issue of Food Network Magazine - "The CHEESE Issue!!" How could I possibly resist? I think cheese is my number one favorite food in the entire world.

They have a little booklet inside the magazine that gives you 50 recipes for Mac n Cheese - yes, I said FIFTY!! Heavenly. This one didn't disappoint - ALL my kids (even my picky eater), my husband and I  loved this recipe! While I was preparing it - I was worried that the measurements wouldn't be enough to feed my family of 5 + baby - but I was wrong - it was the perfect amount - even for seconds:)
Macaroni & Cheese with Ham and Peas
8 oz macaroni or other small pasta (I used fusilli)
1 T butter
1 T flour
1 t mustard powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 c grated mild yellow cheddar cheese (I prob used 2 cups)
1/4 c Velveeta cheese, diced
1 c frozen sweet peas
1 c diced ham (I used the deli ham we had)
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper

Cook pasta as directed on package. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, mustard powder and cayenne and cook, whisking, 1 minute. This is your roux. Make sure it is well incorporated and light brown before proceeding. Whisk in the evaporated milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thick, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the cheeses to melt, then the pasta and just enough of the reserved cooking water to make a thick sauce. (I used the entire cup). Season to taste!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails