Monday, April 22, 2013

South of the Border Sandwiches

I used to make these all the time - but haven't for a while and when I took the first bite I felt like kicking myself for not making these more! They are so delicious. I got the recipe from the Lion House Entertaining cookbook.

As usual, I had to make some changes bc of the ingredients I had on hand. The recipe calls for French bread and I agree - you should stick with French bread -  it really is worth it. I didn't have it, so I used some mini ciabatta rolls I had on hand. They were delicious, but the tops are a bit rounded, so we had a teeter totter situation with a couple of them:) These were the perfect mini sliders for a group - though, best they are family or good friends bc these sandwiches, while worth every single devily delicious bite - are quite messy.


South of the Border Sandwiches - Lion House Entertaining 
1 loaf French bread, cut into 3/4" thick slices
½ cup olives, chopped*
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 c mayonnaise
1/3 c sour cream
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
1 lb sliced turkey
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 ripe avocados, sliced
¾ c cheddar cheese, shredded
¾ c pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine olives, chili powder, cumin, and salt; set aside 2 Tablespoons of this mixture. Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, and green onions to the remaining olive mixture. Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet and spread 1 Tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture on each slice. Top with slices of turkey and tomatoes. Spread with another Tablespoon of mayonnaise mixture. Top with avocados (I usually mash my avocado in sandwiches - sliced avocado tends to slide around on me:) and cheeses. Sprinkle with the reserved 2 Tablespoons of olive mixture. Bake @ 350 for 15 min. Makes 8-10 full sized servings - I had 18 of these little sliders.

*I made this again but on a regular sized ciabatta roll - as a panini - delish! But - I had to eat it with a knife and fork to keep from getting completely messy...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails