Monday, July 1, 2013

Ultimate Coleslaw

With the 4th of July coming up, I wanted to post some recipes I've made lately with the greatest BBQ day on the planet in mind:)

First up - coleslaw. My favorite spin on coleslaw is this Lime & Cilantro Coleslaw but as far as a traditional coleslaw goes - I had to go to Mr. Tyler Florence for his recipe.

I used this coleslaw in a different application and was extremely pleased with the result!! I served the coleslaw as a dip for tortilla chips. Everyone loved it. The crunch and the saltiness of the chip complimented the coleslaw perfectly. I'll be serving it as a dip again for our Independence Day BBQ.

Ultimate Coleslaw adapted from Tyler Florence
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 - 2 tablespoons sugar*
1 store-bought bag shredded slaw mix (containing red and green cabbage and carrots)
1/2 yellow onion, grated*

In a large bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Add the shredded slaw mix and toss until combined.

(My Note: the longer you let it sit, the better. I had some about an hour after I made it and it was good. I t was 100% better the next day!)

In the original recipe, he says - a pinch to 1 T of sugar. Since we don't have a lot of sugary snacks around here - I don't feel bad bumping up the sweet factor in this recipe. I also added grated onion, one of my favorite new tricks to add moisture and flavor to a variety of dishes!

*Picture is also thanks to TF and the Food Network. Mine was eaten too quickly to get a picture:)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails