Monday, September 9, 2013

Baked Potato Soup

I've seen many variations on this type of soup. I knew I had some Yukon Gold potatoes that needed to be used, so I decided to make this soup. 

But, as most things in my life are - it didn't work out the way I thought it would - but the soup still turned out amazing.

First, the potatoes I had didn't look so great - I waited a few days too long to use them. BUT, I had already started heating up the chicken stock and had cut the onion. So, I improvised. I had a package of frozen cubed hash browns in the freezer that I thought would work. It didn't look like enough potatoes, so I thought maybe I'd make a corn chowder of sorts. Turns out I only had about 2 cups of frozen corn - not the 8 cups I thought I had. So. Head in the freezer, searching for options, I saw a bag of frozen steak fries. Yes, people - I was just that desperate - and threw those in the pot as well. I only give you these crazy specifics so you know how versatile this soup can be. 

Baked Potato Soup
5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced into bite size pieces (or whatever potatoes you find!!)
64 oz chicken stock
1 yellow onion, diced
2 T seasoned salt
Garlic powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 qt. heavy cream
Garnish with bacon, cheese, green onions - the skys the limit!!

Cook potatoes in chicken stock until fork tender. Add corn, onions seasoned salt and garlic powder and cook until warmed through. 

Use an immersion blender to combine everything together into an applesauce consistency. Whisk in the heavy cream until well incorporated. Holy yum.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails