Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Homemade Mac n Cheese

I've been craving macaroni and cheese lately. I've tried A LOT of mac n cheese in my day.  I love a creamy, cheesy sauce. It drives me crazy when you spend so much time making mac n cheese - then you bake it and the cheese turns out gummy - do you know what I mean? I think baking it draws out a lot of the moisture in the sauce and while the pasta soaks up some of the sauce too - I'd rather have the creaminess - preference I guess...

I try to use a lot of local ingredients and organic protein, high quality cheeses, etc. But I have to say - the use of Velveeta for macaroni and cheese is crucial.

Homemade Mac n Cheese
12 oz Elbow Macaroni
3 T butter
2 T flour
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 t dry mustard
1/2 t hot sauce

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

While pasta is cooking, in a large saucepan on medium heat, melt butter. Add flour, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly (roux). Add all other ingredients to roux - constantly stirring until the sauce is smooth.

Add the sauce to the cooked noodles and stir gently until incorporated.

*I really prefer to use elbow macaroni - but as my son is allergic to eggs, I have limited brands that make pasta without eggs - or that make pasta in a factory that doesn't also produce egg products - so... I gotta go with the flow:)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails