Thursday, March 13, 2014

Green Chili White Sauce Beef Enchiladas

I felt like Mexican food but only had ground beef on hand - I found this recipe on Pinterest (of course) and tweaked it a little. I can't find the site I found it on - I'll link that in later. 

All my kids (including 2 year old babe) loved it - yummy noises all around - one of my favorite sounds:)




Green Chili White Sauce Beef Enchiladas
1 lb ground beef
1/3 c finely chopped onion
1 t cumin
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t garlic powder
juice of 1/2 lime
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

For the Enchilada Sauce 
2 T butter
2-3 T flour
1 c chicken broth
1/3 - 1/2 c salsa verde
1/2 t cumin
1 c sour cream

To Prepare
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded*
Cheddar cheese, shredded
6-8 flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute another few minutes.  Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, lime juice and black beans.  Stir to combine.  Mine looked a bit dry - so I added a few Tablespoons of chicken stock.

Meanwhile, for the sauce: melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Stir in the flour until a thick paste forms (roux).  Cook for a few minutes to cook out the flour taste.  Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and stir until smooth.  Continue cooking until sauce thickens, whisking occasionally.  Stir in the salsa verde, cumin and sour cream.


To prepare: Divide meat mixture between tortillas and top each with a small amount of cheese.  Roll up tightly and place, seam side down, in a casserole dish.  Pour sauce over the top, covering each enchilada completely.  Top with remaining cheese.  Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.  Broil for the last few minutes to brown the cheese on top.  Serve.   

I got 5 FAT tortillas side by side in a 9x13" casserole. 

*I didn't have Monterey Jack on hand so I used mozzarella 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails