Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Back to School Breakfast Ideas

I took a loooooong break from blogging - I've been busy moving out of state - living with my in laws while waiting to find and close on a new house - and now that we are finally here and mostly unpacked - I'm BACK!

3 of my kids started school, dance, soccer, scouts, tennis, etc. a couple of weeks ago and we are BUSY!! I am going to do a few posts on "game nights" those nights that you are running all over the place and you don't have time to make a meal at dinner time - and everyone needs to eat - but not all at the same time - you know those nights? Stay tuned...

I have found a couple of solutions to having your kids eat a hearty breakfast THEMSELVES without making a mess!!

1. Einstein Bros. Bagels has a deal running right now where you can get a bakers dozen of bagels for $6 every Monday. Six dollars people!! I buy a big tub of plain cream cheese at Costco (which I also use in many dinners and appetizers) and make sure not to buy any "gourmet" bagels so I can stick to $6 flat.

2. Green Monster Smoothies!! These are super delicious - the kids AND the parents love them! I make a big batch and freeze them in single servings.

3. Make ahead Breakfast Burritos!!! These are sheer genius. I can get 10-12 per batch!

Breakfast Burritos
12 tortillas
10 eggs
1/2 - 3/4 bag frozen shredded hash browns
16 oz package Jimmy Dean sausage 
1 medium onion, diced
Shredded cheddar cheese
Salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste

Cook the sausage (with the onion) and the hash browns according to the package directions - don't forget to season the hash browns. So far, I have just used scrambled my eggs. I add a splash of milk, salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. 

I put the ingredients into an "assembly line" and have my kids make their own. I stand at the end of the assembly line listening to them ooh and aaah over just how delicious breakfast will be every morning and then I fold the burritos and wrap them in saran wrap. They mark the burritos with their initials and stick them in a designated section in the refrigerator.

In the morning, they remove the saran wrap and wrap it in a paper towel. Microwave for 60 seconds! They eat them with ketchup, salsa, sriracha or tabasco, my daughter even eats hers with sour cream.

You can also freeze these - but since these have run out before Friday every week - we're sticking with the fridge.

*Make these your own!! Ham, bacon, spicy sausage, chicken sausage, pepper jack cheese - tons of options! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails