Thursday, September 20, 2018

Creamy Polenta

I try to get my kids (my husband and myself sometimes too) to try different foods ALL THE TIME. My latest idea was POLENTA: Polenta is a dish of boiled cornmeal that was historically made from other grains. It may be served as a hot porridge, or it may be allowed to cool and solidify into a loaf that can be baked, fried, or grilled. It's an Italian side dish.



When we try something new in our house - we take major precautions. I research recipes, land on one that sounds like it will work best for our family and usually tweak it from there. We'll make a normal dinner that we know everyone likes and serve the "something new" on the side - just in case we don't like it - we still have full tummies!

A few tricks for trying/introducing "new foods". Try not to use substitutes the first time. While it's cooking, taste and taste and taste. The recipe was very bland but as I stirred and tasted and seasoned I came upon a great flavor profile I knew my family would love. 

I decided to try Emeril Lagasse's Creamy Polenta recipe. Made a few tweaks and it was a hit all around. Me, my husband, 15, 13, 10, 6 and 10 year old guest all approved. 

I saved our left overs and am going to try to cook it with another medium tomorrow. I'll keep this updated.

Creamy Polenta
4 cups chicken stock (original calls for water)
4 cups milk
3 Tbsp butter
2 tsp salt
2 cups polenta
1/2 cup crème fresh
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
*salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste - I used a good amount of all three - tasting as it cooked.

In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk and butter to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the water and whisk in the polenta. Whisk constantly for 3 to 4 minutes to prevent lumps. Simmer for 45 minutes, partially covered and stirring every 10 minutes, until the polenta is thick, smooth, and creamy. Add the creme fraiche and Parmesan. Check for seasoning and adjust consistency by adding milk or water to the polenta - I ended up adding a little chicken stock to thin it out. Polenta may be made up to 20 minutes ahead of time

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails