Sunday, August 9, 2009

Emily's Super Easy Skillet Bread

Don’t ask me how I found this blog. I don’t remember – but I found it – it’s called Food for Thought

This looked worth trying...

Emily’s Super Easy Skillet Bread
2 cups flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2-4 T. butter
optional mix ins: cheese, bacon bits, green chilis, cornmeal, taco seasoning...use your imagination

Stir together the dry ingredients, then stir in the milk until a smooth batter forms. Place an oven proof skillet in the oven while it's heating up and put the butter in. Once the butter is nicely melted and bubbly, pour the batter into the skillet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown. You may either slice it into wedges to serve, or simply tear off hunks.

For this mornings breakfast, we divided the batter in half and made 2 small skillets. Skillet #1 we added bacon and cheddar. Skillet #2 we added bacon, cheddar and green chilis.

I thought this recipe looked similar to the No Time For Breakfast recipe I posted last week. The batter came out like a biscuit. But the skillet bread turned out a lot more moist - I think because of the milk - and the butter added that extra layer of complimentary flavor.

When I made breakfast biscuits again - this is the recipe I'll use - hands down!

We loved them both! The kids loved them too – and all of my kids could eat this delicious breakfast because the recipe does not have eggsJ We will definitely make these again! I want to try one with green chilis, cheese and taco seasoning for a savory dinner bread… yum!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails