Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Funeral Potatoes

If you live outside Utah - you may know these by another name. I grew up in SLC and these potatoes were what I looked forward to the most for Easter and Christmas dinners.

I told a friend that I was making them and she thought they were called funeral potatoes because eating them would give you a heart attack (good one!) but they are called that because in Utah, these babies are served at nearly every dinner after a funeral. Crazy name - but these are darn good!
Funeral Potatoes
48 oz. frozen hashbrowns (the shredded kind)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 t dried minced onion (I prefer using fresh chopped onions - but I am an onion freak)
1 c shredded cheddar cheese

Mix everything except the hashbrowns together - then fold the hashbrowns in. Spread into a 9x13 casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

*You can also use corn flakes cereal mixed with a little melted butter to top the casserole for the last 5 minutes of baking. I didn't have corn flakes - so I used Ritz crackers instead.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails