Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hubs Fave Pickled Eggs

Have you ever eaten a pickled egg? It's something I am totally unfamiliar with. My husbands Mom makes/has made pickled eggs every February (so they are ready in time for Easter) and she makes enough to last through the deer hunt in October (also something I am totally unfamiliar with!)

I have never tried a pickled egg and honestly had never planned to until today. I decided that if I am going to post about them (for all the pickled egg peeps out there) that I myself must try them - because what kind of a food blog would this be if I wasn't eating the food myself?

I had to really psyche myself up to try these - not judging - just saying these are out of my comfort zone.

Honestly, they weren't bad. I don't think I'll ever choose to eat these again - but atleast I didn't gag or anything. I cut one egg into 4 sections and tried them 4 different ways (see how adventurous I am?)

If you have a crazy pickled egg lover in your family - try these and let me know what you think!
Hubs Fave Pickled Eggs
8 hard boiled eggs (in each jar - depends on how many jars you are making)
A little less than 1/2 jar full of white vinegar
8 Whole Peppercorns
4 Bay Leaves
2 T dehydrated minced onion

Combine all ingredients. Make sure the lids are nice and tight. Store them in your refrigerator for 3 to 4 weeks (they are supposed to get better with age). Can keep up to 6 months.

*I ate these 4 ways
1. plain
2. salt & pepper
3. salt, pepper and Tabasco (the way to go according to Hubs)
4. just pepper

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails