Monday, December 20, 2010

Onion Beet Salad


I am going to post my recipes for Christmas Dinner - but I wanted to include something on the lighter side to go with dinner. I poured over blogs, cookbooks, recipe sites and finally found a salad that sounds like it'll fit the bill. Not too heavy, but not just a plain green salad either. I found it in my new recipe book Taste of Home 2008 Annual Recipes (that I got for the bargain price of $5!! Love that!)

As I've said before - my family had no idea how much we adored beets until we tried this salad at a BBQ. I make that salad all the time - even the kids love the beets. So when I found a new recipe featuring beets - I was jazzed! When you roast or grill them they are tender and a bit sweet - and seasoned with EVOO, salt and pepper - they are super delish!!

Onion Beet Salad
12 whole fresh beets (about 2 1/2 lbs), peeled and halved
5 T EVOO, divided
1 large red onion, chopped
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
1/3 red wine vinegar
1/4 c sugar
1 T salt
1 t dried basil
1/2 t pepper

Place beets in a large resealable plastic bag; add 2 Tbsp oil. Seal bag and shake to coat. Place an 18" x 12" piece of heavy duty foil in a 15" x 10" x 1" baking pan. Arrange beets on foil; fold foil over beets and seal tightly. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until tender. (If you are doing this on the grill - wrap in foil and grill on medium heat for about the same amount of time.)
Cool to room temp. cut beets into cubes; place in a large bowl. Add onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegars, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and remaining oil. Pour over beet misture and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Serve with slotted spoon.
*I pulled the beets off the grill (that's that way to go baby) diced them and served them up with the onions and dressing - I didn't even let them sit a full hour and they were delish! The only warning I'd give you is that beets can stain - so be careful working with them:)

*Made this for Christmas dinner and LOVED it!! My 7 year old picky eater even ate the beets! Yum, yum!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails