Monday, July 22, 2013

Roasted Summer Veggies

I saw a recipe very similar to this on - where else? Pinterest - HERE

Around here - we love our veggies - and we don't hide it - or them! If you show up to our house with roasted veggies - I can guarantee you will leave with an empty serving dish.

I have to preface this dish with something that may just knock your socks off. My 10 year old son not only asked for seconds, but for thirds of this side dish (served with grilled chicken) AND he asked me to save anything left in the dish for his lunch the following day. Considering my family can be insanely picky when it comes to leftovers, I was curious. The next day - he was rummaging around in the fridge when I asked what he was looking for. "The veg from last night, Mom. You said I could have it for lunch" he finished it off and still wanted more. I should also mention that hubs and darling 8, 5 and 18 month old loved this too.

If that doesn't sell you - I don't know what will...

Roasted Summer Veggies
2-3 small zucchinis
2-3 small summer squash
2-3 fist(ish) sized potatoes (I used yellow)
1 large yellow onion
1 c + Parmesan (I love shaved parm)
1 t minced garlic
Salt, pepper, olive oil

Slice ends off of your onion, then in half and then cut into 1/4" slices. Slice all other veg into 1/4" slices. My potatoes were pretty wide, so I cut those 1/4" oval slices in half to bring them down closer to the size of the other veg.

Preheat your oven to 400 and PAM an 8x8 casserole dish (I have an oblong one I used).

Heat 1T evoo in saute pan. Add onion and cook until transparent (about 5-7 minutes), add garlic and cook for an additional minute (careful not to burn the garlic - it will taste bitter!!)

Pour the onions into the bottom of the casserole dish. Alternate zucchini, squash and potatoes vertically around the dish in a single layer.

Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle Parmesan on top and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the cheese is a nice golden brown.

A few notes:
*I used to be so disappointed in the zucchini and squash selection in the produce department - UNTIL I heard this little tip. The smaller zucchini and squash are more palatable because they have fewer seeds! Of course you can use the big old honkin' tubers in your garden (if you are amazing like that!).
**The original recipe includes roma tomatoes and thyme. I bought tomatoes fully intending to use them, but when it came down to it, I decided against using them. Hubs isn't particularly fond of cooked tomatoes (except in all the obvious places!) and my 10 year old son isn't a fan either (good call!) Also, I just didn't have thyme on hand - oh. wait. I just laughed a little too hard at that one.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails