Friday, September 27, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I really love soup - yes I do. One of the things I get really excited about when the weather gets even the slightest bit cold is that it is once again soup season.

I have many, many favorite soups - but I've never made broccoli cheese - and why in the world not?? Well, I'm not sure - but you can bet your bottom dollar that I will make this again, and again and again. I got this recipe from the Velveeta box and changed it only slightly to suit me. Okay, I'll be honest - I added TWICE the amount of cheese than the recipe calls for. Well, because I freakin' love cheese AND because I didn't like the consistency of their recipe. I also used the immersion blender - which isn't called for in their recipe either. It turned out PERFECT - best Broccoli Cheese soup I've ever had in my entire life. All 4 of my kids gobbled it up.

Broccoli Cheese Soup
3 T butter
1 yellow onion, diced
2 T flour
1 c milk
2 c chicken stock
16 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
10 oz frozen broccoli
Salt and pepper

Melt butter in stock pot over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until tender about 3- 5 minutes. Add flour and whisk until incorporated. Add milk and chicken stock and heat until warmed through. Add half the Velveeta and the broccoli. Whisking constantly until the Velveeta has melted. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until there are no more big chunks of broccoli. Add the remaining Velveeta. Turn to low heat and cover for about 15 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so.

Serve with sour dough bread and grated cheddar on top!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails