Sunday, July 6, 2014

Jack's Pizza Pie

I could talk non stop for years about my only son's redeeming qualities, talents, funny quips, ideas, etc. See I'm already on a roll! We make pizza quite often around here - the kids love when we do pizza night - they love the freedom they have in making their own mini pizzas THEIR own way.

A few weeks ago on pizza night, I was making strawberry pie for dessert while the kids were assembling their pizzas. I saw Jack's face light up. "Mom - what if we made a 'pizza pie'!" I told him that was a great idea - and they do make pizza pies - but they are called calzones. We talked about the ingredients he'd like to have in his and asked when we could make those marvelous pizza pies.

A few days later - I took him shopping with me and let him decide on the ingredients he wanted to include. While we have made pizza dough, my fall back is our local pizzeria. They sell dough for a large pizza for $3. We take it home, cut it into 4 pieces and let the kids go nuts.

You can brush the top of the calzones with a little egg wash to make them nice and brown - I don't do that bc of food allergies in our house...

Jack's Pizza Pie
Pizza dough
Ricotta cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Ground sausage, cooked
Pepperoni slices
Onions
Green peppers
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
Corn meal

No measurements - bc you can do it to your liking - the sky is the limit! Put your filling toward one side of a rectangular piece of pizza dough. Try to keep in in a nice circular pile. Fold the rectangular side without the filling over the top and pinch the envelope closed.

Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes - delicious!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails