Sunday, April 15, 2018

Something New!?!



I've been wanting Spring to finally get here! Every time Spring peeks out - winter rears her ugly head. So... I've been trying my best to keep my Spring dream alive!

We've been trying new recipes with foods we've never tried before.

Sweet Cherry Peppers - a big hit with everyone but my pickiest eater ever (6)

Lima Beans - actually a hit with me, Mr. 15, Miss 13, Miss 10. Okay with My Mister and even though she tried them - a "NO" for Miss 6.

Leeks - I tried them raw several months ago and HATED them - but kept hearing about how great they were and watching/reading recipes that used them over and over again. So - I tried them in a recipe and they are actually very good! When they are cooked - they have an onion like flavor but they are a bit more mild. A hit with all 6 of us.

Pickled eggs. Yes - this is a thing. It's a Vietti thing. Grandma usually makes a bunch in February/March to be ready for Easter - and makes enough to go through the hunt in October. She hasn't made them for a couple of years. Hubs was out of town and I wanted to give him a special treat to come home to - but I know better than to try to buy him something - so I made him pickled eggs. When he came home after being on the road and opened the fridge - he was THRILLED to see pickled eggs. I took some over to my brother in laws house and his face lit up. So easy - so worth the reaction - not for the faint of heart...

My husband was rummaging through the fridge and freezer today and asked why I was so obsessed with peas. SPRING! Still hunting down fava beans...

Things we have had - but not frequently that are coming up... green beans - so good! Spring petite peas (that we actually had for Easter with our traditional lamb chops and mashed potatoes) but will have again soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails