Sunday, September 16, 2018

Vietti Chicken Noodle Soup

I've expressed my feelings on Chicken Noodle Soup on my last post about the recipe I'd been using. Jen's Chicken Noodle Soup. As you probably know, almost every single chicken noodle soup recipe, can, box, etc. uses egg noodles and celery in their recipe - both of which my son is allergic to. SO... this is a different spin on Chicken Noodle Soup - but I can promise you that the flavor and the comfort is alive and well in this version. I'll note where I've made substitutions so you can make it to suit your family.


Vietti Chicken Noodle Soup

2 T butter
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion
Shredded carrots
Bok Choy, diced*
1/2 t chopped garlic
Salt and pepper
3 T flour
4 qts chicken stock
4 bay leaves

Chicken
Pasta
1 c of Kale - stem removed, washed and cut down into small pieces.
1 T lemon pepper
1 T Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, parsley blend)

CHEATS!!!!!: Onions come diced in the frozen section, carrots come shredded in the produce section, BOK CHOY is the perfect sub for celery!!! Egg noodles are the norm. I use 100% semolina spaghetti noodles bc of the allergy issue.  You can buy rotisserie chicken taken off the bone and vacuum sealed everywhere - what an awesome cheat!!

Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, bok choy and carrots and saute until the bok choy/celery and onions are soft. The carrots will still have a little bite in them - but don't worry - they'll be perfectly soft when the soup is done. Add garlic and saute until fragrant (1 min). Stir in the flour one tablespoon at a time and stir frequently until it coats the vegetables and makes a paste and looks blonde. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock, making sure there are no lumps. Add the bay leaves, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, salt and pepper, chicken and kale. Simmer for at least 10 more minutes - up to service time.

**I like to use kale instead of spinach - bc I feel it holds up better

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails