Sunday, May 17, 2009

Chicken - An Experiment

When I made my Chili's salad the other night, I started thinking... what does my hubs usually get there? Baby Back Ribs (posting soon) or the Honey chipotle chicken crispers. I deferred to research online with no luck whatsoever. I knew I'd couldn't even get close to the Chili's recipe mainly because I don't own a deep frier (if I did, I'd weigh about 400 lbs.) So, this recipe is more of an "Ode to the taste" of the original.

I made this chicken 3 ways. Sounds complicated - it's not. Because 2 of my kids are allergic to eggs - I have to make adjustments sometimes. This is what I came up with...

Chipotle Chicken 'Crispers'
2 T chipotle sauce (Tabasco brand makes one)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 1/4 c panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

Blend together the chipotle sauce, mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste until the mixture is smooth. In a baking pan arrange the chicken pieces in one layer and coat them completely with the mayonnaise mixture. Chill the chicken, covered, for at least 1 hour.

In a large bowl combine the panko (I am sure you can use bread crumbs too - panko is just something I always have in stock), salt and pepper to taste and coat each piece of chicken with the panko mixture. Arrange the chicken pieces on a lightly oiled baking sheet – spray the chicken with Pam to help them brown. Bake at 425°F turning them once for 20 to 25 minutes.

Adjustments: Chipotle is pretty spicy. For my kiddos, I eliminated the chipotle on their pieces. As for the allergy babies, instead of the mayo mixture - I used honey. Everything else was the same.

Dipping Sauce:

Honey Chipotle Sauce
1 c mayo
2 T Grey poupon
½ c Honey
2 T Chipotle sauce
1 T cider vinegar

The hit of the night was the dipping sauce. The chicken turned out great - crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Add the dipping sauce and you have a hit! I served it with steak fries.

*No pics. As most experiments go in my house - first round is not pretty - but tastes amazing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails