Thursday, May 14, 2009

Patty's Beet Salad

Don't let the beet's scare you. Aside from this salad - I don't think I've eaten a beet in my life. C'mon - grooooose - right? I tried this salad out of politeness and ended up LOVING IT and going back for more! This is a good one for a BBQ - you are already using your grill to cook meat - just throw the beets on too!
This one is a combo. I got the dressing recipe from my awesome sister in law Mary – who calls herself a ‘garbage chef’ – which I always laugh at! What she is referring to is the fact that she can throw basically anything she has in her fridge and make a masterpiece!! Dressings are her forte.

Then, the salad is from my friend Patty. She made this salad for a BBQ last 4th of July and everyone there asked her for the recipe – another salad that has unusual ingredients – but trust me – Mary’s dressing + Patty’s salad!! We had people from the ages of 1 to 60 at this BBQ – and that was the first thing gone. Thanks girls!!

SALAD
Red Beets (and yellow if you can find them)
Romaine or bibb lettuce
Salt
Pepper
EVOO
Crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

Mary’s Vinaigrette
1/3 c EVOO
1/3 c vinegar (you can use lemon juice, white vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsalmic vinegar - for this recipe she used white)
1 chunk shallot finely chopped
Salt pepper
1 T mustard
Equal parts EVOO and vinegar. Combine all (immersion blender would be heaven) but for me – I’ve gotta use a regular blender.

Peel the beets, salt, pepper to taste and drizzle with EVOO. Wrap them in double aluminum foil and place on the grill *or in the oven to cook. Meanwhile, wash and chop your lettuce and prepare the vinaigrette. When the beets are done cut them into slices, set them on top of the lettuce. Top the beets with the Gorgonzola. Salivating right now…

*I talked to Patty and she said that she either does the beets in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour - or on the grill for 45 min - 1 hour if they are BBQing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails