Thursday, January 28, 2010

Gyoza (Dumplings, Pot Stickers)

Yummy in my tummy...
I bought this super ginormous baking sheet at Williams & Sonoma (reg $70) for $9.99 - it is too large to fit in my oven (that was obvious when I bought it) but it is great for Gyoza or when I am making rolls or more than one loaf of bread.
Thanks to my super awesome lady Morgan for giving me this recipe!! I made gyoza (aka Japanese dumplings or pot stickers) from scratch today!! It was really fun - and they turned out so delicious!!

Don't be intimidated. It is an extremely simple recipe. The trick is getting all that goodness into those wonton wrappers is a bit time consuming - but I am telling you it is worth it! I would def recommend buying a dumpling press (about $2) that speeds up the process tremendously! Just think of the satisfaction you will feel knowing that you can make your own gyoza. Ok, maybe I am a little crazy - but y'all know how much I LOVE food!

Morgan's Gyoza
1/2 lb ground pork
6 cabbage leaves diced (1/2 a small head)
3 minced cloves of garlic
3 diced green onions
3 dashes garlic powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
gyoza wrappers (or square wonton wrappers)

Cook the pork (in a saute pan over medium heat until no longer pink). Combine all ingredients. Mix it well.
Then you need the gyoza wrappers, a teaspoon, a small dish of water for sealing them and a tray to put them in once you're done folding them. Take one wrapper and put approx a tsp of filling in the center of the wrapper. Then dip your finger in the water and wet half of the edge of the wrapper. Then take the center of the wet edge and fold it up to meet the center of the dry edge and lightly pinch. Moving towards the outside fold small sections over to make the pretty folds, making sure to pinch the edges shut so filling doesn't explode out. Once you hit the end seal it and then do the other side working from the center to the end. OR you can get a dumpling press which is ten times faster - totally cheap and worth it!

Then pan fry them. I start with a hot saute pan and add a little sesame oil to coat the pan, then add as many dumplings as the pan will hold. I brown two sides of the dumpling. Once browned I add water to cover them half way and cover the pan. Allow them to steam until the water runs out, on medium heat, approx 9 minutes. Remove the lid, and then let the dumplings crisp up again on one or two sides. I get impatient and crisp one side because they smell so yummy :D Once crispy they're ready for hungry tummys. we usually dip them in soy sauce, lightly topped with sesame oil and a dash of chile oil (but no chile oil for the kiddies unless they like the spice).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails