Thursday, December 27, 2012

Easy Gnocchi


We stuck with my husbands family tradition of going to dinner at the Olive Garden for Christmas Eve. The only time we eat there is that on that night - so I try to be adventurous. 

You can have soup or salad with your entree so I ordered a new menu item, Chicken and Gnocchi soup to try. My 8 year old foodie tried the Zuppa Toscana Soup - also very good!

Anyway, if you can believe it - I had never eaten gnocchi before that night. Ever. I'm pretty sure that is considered a sin in some cultures. 

I've heard of it - and have known for a while what it is - but only because I watch Top Chef:)

I was feeling very much like a fancy pants making these - but they were so easy, I didn't need my fancy pants on at all - hahaha

Easy Gnocchi
1 (1-pound) russet potato

1/2 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 c flour

Pierce the potato all over with a fork. Microwave the potato until tender, turning once, about 12 minutes. Cut the potato in half and scoop the flesh into a large bowl; discard the skin. Using a fork, mash the potato well. Mash in the salt and pepper. Mix in the egg. Sift the flour over the potato mixture and knead just until blended.

Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece between your palms and the work surface into a 1/2-inch-diameter rope (about 20 inches long). Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Roll each piece of dough over a wooden paddle with ridges or over the tines of a fork to form grooves in the dough. *a step I skipped bc it is going into soup.

Cook the gnocchi in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the gnocchi from the pot and serve (however you are going to use them – in this particular case, I’m making a copy of Olive Garden’s Chicken and Gnocchi soup.


*Adapted from a Giada De Laurentiis recipe 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails