Friday, August 24, 2018

Breakfast Burritos

It's BACK TO SCHOOL TIME around here!

I've been making these breakfast burritos forever - but my friends were recently asking me how I make them - I never thought to post this because it isn't really a recipe - but for those interested - here's what I did the night before the first day of school...



I really should post a better picture that makes your mouth water - but this is the finished product - I get about 30 burritos per batch - you can freeze them as well - but there are 6 of us in the house including 2 growing teenagers - so we go through 30 in about 5 days

Breakfast Burritos

30 Soft taco size tortillas
30 oz bag shredded hash browns 
2 lbs ground sausage
large onion diced 
12 eggs
bag shredded cheese 

I use the same pan for everything - for 2 reasons: easy clean up AND after I've cooked each thing - it has time to dry out a bit bc I place everything to drain on paper towels.

Start with the hashbrowns - they have the most water content so they need the most time to dry out. Cook them per directions on package only adding salt and pepper to taste. 

Then the sausage. I've used mild Italian sausage, Jimmy Dean sausage, this time it was JD maple. Cook until brown - allow to drain on paper towels.

Sautee the onion in a little butter. My favorite hack is to buy frozen diced onion - such a cinch. Set aside.

Lastly, 12 eggs, beaten - if I don't have 12 - I usually add a little milk to help the eggs stretch. Season with salt and pepper to taste (sometimes I even add a little powdered garlic).

Assemble: Soft taco, hashbrowns, sausage, onion, eggs, cheese. Roll up like a burrito and them wrap them in tin foil like a burrito. 

To eat!! Remove foil. (I reuse my foil for the following weeks batch) Wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 45 - 60 seconds. ENJOY!!

*If you are going to freeze these - I still recommend wrapping in foil - but add an additional layer of plastic wrap. You don't have to thaw them, just remove plastic and foil - wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails