Thursday, September 17, 2020

Tuna Italian

I didn't grow up with tuna casserole. Frankly - I'm sure that if my mom ever made it NONE of the 6 of her kids would've eaten it - and my Dad would've choked it down bc he was always grateful to have a hot meal on the table.  

I got this recipe from my sister in laws Mom, Sam - who I've known for 25 years and whom I absolutely adore. Last time I saw her she told me that my sister in law requests this casserole every time she goes home. She also told me that her husband (who is very POSH and picky) requests it every time Sam gets back in town. That sold me. I've yet to make it - bc it's hotter than blazes here - but it's on my list of must make when the weather cools down a bit.

Tuna Italian aka fancy Tuna Casserole
1/2 c chopped onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
6 oz can evaporated milk or 2/3 c light cream
1/3 c grated parmesan cheese
6 1/2, 7 or 9 1/4 ounce tuna
3 oz can broiled sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 c chopped ripe olives
2 T minced parsley
2 t lemon juice
6 oz (3 cups) noodles, cooked and drained

Cook onion in small amount of hot fat till tender, but not brown. Add soup, milk and cheese; heat and stir. Break tuna in chunks; add with remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 2 qt. casserole. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese and paprika.
Bake at 375 degrees 20-25 minutes. top with minced parsley and ripe-olive slices as shown. Pass lemon wedges to squirt over. Makes 6 servings.

Sam's notes: Lots more lemon than it says. She only uses jarred tuna packed in oil.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails