Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuna Puff Sandwiches

I found this little gem in my new cookbook Taste of Home Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2010. I have to be honest, although I am a fan of tuna melts, a few ingredients in this recipe made me a little nervous - BUT, considering this is an award winning recipe, I stuck to the recipe and was pleasantly surprised. This is an awesome kicked up version.
Tuna Puff Sandwiches
3/4 c mayonnaise, divided
2 T chopped green pepper
1 1/2 t grated onion
1 1/2 t prepared mustard
1/4 t Worcestershire sauce
1 pouch (7.1 oz) tuna (I used a can)
3 hamburger buns, split
6 slices tomato
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 c mayo, green pepper, onion, mustard and W sauce; stir in tuna. Spread over each bun half; top each with a tomato slice. Arrange sandwiches on a baking sheet.

In another bowl, combine the cheese and remaining mayo; spoon cheese misture over tomato. bake at 400 degrees for 11 - 13 minutes or until topping is puffy and golden brown. Yeild 6 servings.

*I made a few substitutions: I didn't have green pepper, I used diced red onion instead of grated onion and I used half of an 'everything' bagel instead of a hamburger bun. YUMMMMMMM
**Also, I never ate tuna until I met my hubby. He taught me that you don't just eat "Chicken of the Sea" usually packed in oil - that you eat "Solid White Albacore Tuna packed in water" it seriously makes a world of difference.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails