Monday, December 17, 2018

Pasta with Sausage Ragu

  • I watch cooking shows A LOT. A lot a lot. You don't have to pay close attention so you can be working on something else - and it's appropriate content for when my kids are around. 
  • I DVR the Rachael Ray show (it's on daily) for food inspiration. Today - I happened to be home while her show was on and while I was "wrapping Christmas" she kept me company. When I saw her make this dish - I knew that was what we were going to have for dinner. SUPER easy with ingredients I almost ALWAYS have on hand. 
  • I made a few tweaks based on my family's tastes and what I had on hand - but RR gets all the credit. I have a friend that is a photographer and her season is INSANE right now - so I gave her half the meat sauce and she reported that her entire family LOVED it (as did mine).

    Pasta with Sausage Ragu
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO
    1-2 c shredded carrots
    1 onion diced
    4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
    Salt and pepper
    1 lb mild Italian sausage
    1 lb hot sausage
    2 tablespoons ground sage, or fresh finely chopped
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 c chicken stock
    2 c of your favorite red sauce *Bertolli organic (or 14 oz crushed tomatoes)
    3 T sugar
    1-2 c shredded parmesan (or pecorino)
    18 oz pasta (I used penne)
    Fresh basil for presentation and freshness - just tear a few leaves and sprinkle it on top.
    Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat with olive oil, add carrots & onion. Sweat the vegetables to soften 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Split the sausages from their casings and remove the meat. Add the sausage to the pot and break up with a wooden spoon or fork to lightly brown and crumble. Add the sage and tomato paste, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add stock and tomatoes and lower heat to simmer. Add sugar- this is a little trick I've used FOREVER - every tomato based sauce I make I add sugar - it balances the acidity of the tomatoes.
    Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
    Salt water and cook according to directions. Toss pasta with sauce, add parmesan. Sprinkle with torn basil.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails