Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018


I've posted all the recipes I've tried for Thanksgiving - whether I was doing the whole meal or just doing a side. I wanted to do an update on what we've stuck with over the years and what we added this year.

The kids and I did yard work and odd jobs for several people (on the DL) and saved up enough money to buy Hubs/Dad a Traeger for Father's Day. So - for the first time ever - we are making a "smoked turkey" with "smoked gravy" - I'll post the recipes and our thoughts after the big day. We're doing a smaller turkey (10 lb) because my in laws are doing a traditional turkey - so we have our bases covered.

This year I'm making cranberry sauce because I just can't stand the stuff in a can. I made it today (day before Thanksgiving) and it is the BOMB. Triple Sec Cranberry Relish
http://breakingthereciperut.blogspot.com/2018/11/triple-sec-cranberry-relish_21.html

We have stuck with a few tried and true recipes also:
My 15 year old son made this Sausage and Herb stuffing we've have loved for years - ALL BY HIMSELF! Other than my homemade rolls - this is his favorite thing about Thanksgiving. A recipe I found years ago from Ina Garten.

My 10 year old made these INCREDIBLE Decadent Mashed Potatoes we've loved for years - her absolute fave. The recipe is from Ree Drummond but I TOTALLY cheat and use the "Main St. Bistro Mashed Potatoes" from Costco so I can skip all the peeling, cooking, mashing. I mean - if my 10 year old can make them - pssssh!

This turkey recipe will change your life Alton - so we're doing it exactly the same way - except instead of putting the turkey in the oven - we are putting in the smoker. The MOST important thing in that post is the BEST WAY TO CARVE YOUR TURKEY - if you haven't tried it - or heard of it - IT WILL ABSOLUTELY BLOW YOUR MIND.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails