Monday, January 7, 2019

Green Chili Chicken Soup - A Better Cure For the Common Cold

I can't find the picture that goes along with this post - ARRRRGH! I'll update with a pic as soon as I can find one...

I got this recipe from The New Mexico Nomad They say:

"Whereas others advocate chicken noodle soup to alleviate the misery of the common cold, I recommend cream of green chile chicken soup. The green chile provides a vitamin c boost, relieves blocked sinus passages and, generally, increases sensations of well being and coziness. I normally make a double batch of this soup so I have leftovers for lunch.

You can adjust the heat by varying the amount, or type, of chile used. In California they have a similar soup using mild Anaheim peppers or Poblanos. That doesn’t have the same impact in terms of sinus release or culinary satisfaction. My preference is hot New Mexico green chile, usually Sandia or Barker. These chiles are related to the Anaheim but pack far more heat." I 100% agree!

Green Chile Chicken Soup Recipe
6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
Melt the butter, stirring in the flour until smooth. Stir regularly to create a roux. Your roux is ready once it begins to tan and smells nutty. Add remaining ingredients.
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup half & half
1 cup of green chile (or peppers of some sort) to taste
1 cup chicken (more if you like a lot of chicken)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Stir until smooth over medium heat for about 1/2 hour and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails