Thursday, September 24, 2009

Garden Veggie Chowder

This recipe is my all time favorite soup for fall. I originally got it from a friend and have adapted a little bit. SO delicious. I'm not sure if it is because it is beautiful weather or if it's because I'm sick (or a combination of the two) but I have a hankering for some veggie chowder.

1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1 Cup chopped of EACH of the following: Potato, celery, cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli
3 cups water
3 chicken bouillan cubes
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
2 cups of milk
1 TBSP parsley flakes (or fresh)
12 oz. of cheddar cheese (I use medium sharp)

Saute green pepper and onion in the butter until tender. Add all veggies, water, bouillan, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 min. or until veggies are all tender.
In a seperate bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth, stir into pan. Bring to a boil once more, stir continuously while at a boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat and add parsley. Add cheese just before serving, stir in until melted.

*A couple of suggestions on this recipe that I have. 1. I ALWAYS double this. Reason being: It is so easy to double. Plus, all of your veggies that you buy, you will get at least two cups and lots extra out of. While you are at it you may as well freeze some for later. 2. When I do freeze some for later, I do NOT add the cheese. I add the cheese after I reheat it and it is already warmed up. THEN add the cheese. 3. Before I add cheese when serving I transfer to my crockpot and set on low to keep warm while I'm serving my family or my guests. I hope these tips help. Enjoy! Please try it and let me know what you think! Oh... and I usually add more cheese than it says too. We like it uber cheesy!

*Make this a 'diet' food by using skim milk, a butter substitute and reduced fat cheese

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails